Skip to main content

Bol-anon Goodies!

We just got back from Bohol and since my parents are from there, I knew what to get for pasalubong.  I want to feature some of the yummy products that I bought and will use some of the items I bought for a few recipes in the future.

Bohol Bee Farm - I had to stop myself from getting all of the items from the store. These goodies are great, healthy and cost efficient! 

 




Yummy Pesto Spread, wonderful on toast or crackers!



 


This Honey Spread wasn't so bad. You don't really get the same taste as when you put butter and honey on toast. It tasted more like sweetened margarine to me. 



 
This is one of their best sellers - locally produced honey.  There are a variety of honey that's available so you need to check with the sales lady as to what kind are the sweeter vs. more bland ones.  

As a kid, I would eat half a bag of Bohol Broas everytime we had them at home.  I had always wondered why the broas from Bohol were different from the ones in Quezon.  These pastries are sweeter and crunchier and they have a distinct flavor to them.  The Quezon counterpart to me is always too dry and bland so I've always preferred the broas from Bohol.   Sampaguita's doesn't only sell Broas but a myriad of other pastries that you would need to try.  They actual "factory" (which is really a house with a small store) is just behind the Baclayon church so its easy for you to get these freshly baked goodies.  Don't worry if Sampaguita's run out of broas, you can always visit the other houses nearby (its a family run business) and they would gladly sell you the same stuff :) Broas are excellent not just for pasalubong but for making refrigerator cakes - will post sample recipes in my future blogs.
For those of you who don't know Bohol makes excellent tablea (cocoa).  These are used for making hot cocoa (pure) or can also be added to a variety of chocolate recipes.  The hot cocoa made out of tablea works perfectly with suman and mangoes.  Will be posting the recipe to tablea hot cocoa soon!
                                                             

Although I don't eat pork (or beef), I bought a kilo of chicharon (pork rind) for pasalubong to my friends and family.  The chicharon in Bohol is always fresh.  And just like the makes of the pastries, these are done out of people's homes. 
Hilda's Chicharon is one of the best selling chicharons in Bohol.  They have a stalls in the market area (however they only open after lunch I think) but you can also go direct to the source.  When you buy though, be prepared to wait a few minutes as they only pack the chicharon when you are there.  You can buy them by the pack but usually they're sold by the kilo.


If you're a chicharon junkie, you won't be able to resist this! Even the smell wafting out of the plastic bag is enough to drive you insane!  When I was a kid I remember eating this with rice and it was divine! :)

Here's a snapshot of a kilo of freshly cooked Chicharon.



So there you have it - my Boh-anon goodies!  Will post recipes on these yummy items soon! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Feast Part 1 - Balut

For the next coming days, I will be posting photos and recipes of dishes I made during the holidays.  In the Philippines Christmas Eve dinner (Noche Buena) and New Year's Eve dinner (Media Noche) are big celebrations.  Families wait for the strike of midnight to celebrate Christmas/NY and eat until the wee hours of the morning.  Since I visit my dad for the holidays, I only make a few "key" dishes, mostly desserts.  Most of them I picked up from here and there and I customized and there are a couple that I made following the exact recipe. Let me start off with something that I didn't make but I purchased (just so I can move on to the ones I've made after).  These are Balut.  Don't worry, I won't show gory photos of the actual chic - just the egg :) Balut is basically duck embryo (and yes, it's the same one they eat on Fear Factor). I've only started eating balut in July of 2011 when my friends and I were in Boracay.  They said that the Balut

Holiday Feast Part 3 - Desserts - Wheat Chocolate "Chip" Cookies

I came across Fuji Mama's Blog Site over the holidays whilst looking for a new Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe.  I was so intruiged cause she made a side by side comparison of the differenct cookie recipes she experimented with. Apparently less butter makes for softer 'chewier' cookies! Who knew, right? So inspired by her experiment, I made some tweaks on the final recipe Fuji Mama ended up with by changing and addingsome of the chocolate and changing the flour.  Since I had some wheat flour, I decided to use that for the cookies (I was kinda worried that they were going to get rock hard but I crossed my fingers and it worked)! Click on the link to Fuji Mama's blog at the top of this post for the full review on the Nestle Toll House Cookie Recipe.    The original recipe is found below with my tweaks in pink font. @nestlefoodie’s Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe from Chris Garboski , adapted from the Original Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cook

Homemade fresh tomato sauce (vegan gluten free)

I got a bunch of tomatoes from my dad. He's been obsessing over buying veggies and fruit from Tanay since he's been traveling there a few times a week. Since the tomatoes were so cheap (20php per kilo) he buys a ton. So instead of leaving these babies to rot (they likely won't eat all of them anyway), I decided to take some of them home for my meal prep. Making the sauce was super easy. I was actually in the middle of prepping for a class I was going to teach the next day when I decided to start on the sauce.  I started with about 1- 1.5 kilos of tomatoes. Put them in a deep pot with water and waited for it to boil. In hindsight and upon reading recipes after (yes I know it was too late for research) I should have blanched them instead.  Anyway, it worked out pretty well cause I didn't overlook the tomatoes. I took them off the heat when the skin started to go wrinkly and put them in an ice bath to stop the cooking process and also to make them