Skip to main content

Holiday Feast Part 1 - Balut

For the next coming days, I will be posting photos and recipes of dishes I made during the holidays.  In the Philippines Christmas Eve dinner (Noche Buena) and New Year's Eve dinner (Media Noche) are big celebrations.  Families wait for the strike of midnight to celebrate Christmas/NY and eat until the wee hours of the morning.  Since I visit my dad for the holidays, I only make a few "key" dishes, mostly desserts.  Most of them I picked up from here and there and I customized and there are a couple that I made following the exact recipe.

Let me start off with something that I didn't make but I purchased (just so I can move on to the ones I've made after).  These are Balut.  Don't worry, I won't show gory photos of the actual chic - just the egg :)

Balut is basically duck embryo (and yes, it's the same one they eat on Fear Factor).
I've only started eating balut in July of 2011 when my friends and I were in Boracay.  They said that the Balut in Boracay was very fresh so I tried it and got hooked! Most people say it's an aquired taste but I guess I just had the Balut gene in me - same with the Durian gene I suppose.

Anyway, I thought I would have a hard time looking for "fresh" Balut in Makati but lo, and behold! I found a supplier that even delivers!

Enter, Ang Tindahan ng Itlog ni Kuya at iba pa - wipe that smirk off your faces :)  Itlog ni Kuya specializes in anything duck related (and more).  They sell 16 day old Balut eggs that are very tasty and full of yummy juices.  If you want to order, just send them a text or visit their FB page.  Most bulk orders can easily be delivered.  Enjoy!!!

http://itlognikuya.blogspot.com/p/products.html

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Feast Part 3 - Desserts - Wheat Chocolate "Chip" Cookies

I came across Fuji Mama's Blog Site over the holidays whilst looking for a new Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe.  I was so intruiged cause she made a side by side comparison of the differenct cookie recipes she experimented with. Apparently less butter makes for softer 'chewier' cookies! Who knew, right? So inspired by her experiment, I made some tweaks on the final recipe Fuji Mama ended up with by changing and addingsome of the chocolate and changing the flour.  Since I had some wheat flour, I decided to use that for the cookies (I was kinda worried that they were going to get rock hard but I crossed my fingers and it worked)! Click on the link to Fuji Mama's blog at the top of this post for the full review on the Nestle Toll House Cookie Recipe.    The original recipe is found below with my tweaks in pink font. @nestlefoodie’s Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe from Chris Garboski , adapted from the Original Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cook

Homemade fresh tomato sauce (vegan gluten free)

I got a bunch of tomatoes from my dad. He's been obsessing over buying veggies and fruit from Tanay since he's been traveling there a few times a week. Since the tomatoes were so cheap (20php per kilo) he buys a ton. So instead of leaving these babies to rot (they likely won't eat all of them anyway), I decided to take some of them home for my meal prep. Making the sauce was super easy. I was actually in the middle of prepping for a class I was going to teach the next day when I decided to start on the sauce.  I started with about 1- 1.5 kilos of tomatoes. Put them in a deep pot with water and waited for it to boil. In hindsight and upon reading recipes after (yes I know it was too late for research) I should have blanched them instead.  Anyway, it worked out pretty well cause I didn't overlook the tomatoes. I took them off the heat when the skin started to go wrinkly and put them in an ice bath to stop the cooking process and also to make them