Skip to main content

Makeshift Shoe Cabinet

We recently moved out of our place to move to a temp condo.  As we'll only be staying at the temp place for 6 months I really don't plan on getting huge and/or permanent items.

We have a smaller space in the current place so I had to be creative with organizing my stuff.  Unlike our old place, this new one doesn't have a shoe cabinet.  So what I did was to convert the linen closet to a shoe closet (it was the most convenient location).  The only problem I had was the shelves have so much space in between each other making my shoe space limited.  So what I did was to search for a shoe rack that would serve as an "extension" of the current space.

I checked Ace hardware but didn't find anything.  Luckily, my instincts told me to go to Japan Home - you know that place that sells everything for only 88 pesos?  And guess what? I found what I needed! They actually had a shoe stack but it only fit a pair so I bought the generic space expander and now one linen cabinet shelf has 3 shoe rack levels! :




See how many shoes I can fit on the top shelf compared to the bottom shelf?

The only drawback for me is that since I have really high heeled shoes, some of them won't fit in the makeshift shelves.



I also bought those flip flop hanging organizers from Storage Solution at Cash and Carry. So I was able to utilize the area behind the closet door.


With a little patience and some creativity I was able to convert a space into what I needed.  Hopefully I still get to use these 88 peso stackables at our next place :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Bake Graham Cracker Brownies

I bought crushed graham crackers from Rustan's the other day and thought of trying out the no bake recipe on the package. It seemed pretty easy enough so I decided to just make revisions to the recipe as I went along.  Besides I didn't want to keep left over crushed graham crackers so I did 2 batches and modified with whatever ingredients I could find at home.  The receipe is below with my modifications in magenta. :)

ps. Mr. Man enjoyed these - as usual he ate them with ice cream :)



MY San Graham Brownies (CovertHousewife version) Ingredients: 1 Cup (10 crackers) M.Y. San Graham Honey, crushed (1 pack 200g Crushed Graham Crackers) ¼ cup peanuts, toasted, chopped (1/2 cup crushed cashews) 2 TBSP Confectioner’s sugar (none – didn’t have any) 1 TBSP Peanut butter (2 TBSP Peanut Butter) 1 TBSP Condensed Milk (4 TBSP Condensed Milk) 2 TBSP White sugar (2 TBSP Caster sugar) 3 TBSP Cocoa Powder (6 TBSP Cocoa Powder) ¼ cup butter or margarine, melted (1/2 cup melted butter/1 stick unsalted mel…

Bol-anon Goodies!

We just got back from Bohol and since my parents are from there, I knew what to get for pasalubong.  I want to feature some of the yummy products that I bought and will use some of the items I bought for a few recipes in the future.
Bohol Bee Farm - I had to stop myself from getting all of the items from the store. These goodies are great, healthy and cost efficient! 



Yummy Pesto Spread, wonderful on toast or crackers!




This Honey Spread wasn't so bad. You don't really get the same taste as when you put butter and honey on toast. It tasted more like sweetened margarine to me. 



 
This is one of their best sellers - locally produced honey.  There are a variety of honey that's available so you need to check with the sales lady as to what kind are the sweeter vs. more bland ones.  
As a kid, I would eat half a bag of Bohol Broas everytime we had them at home.  I had always wondered why the broas from Bohol were different from the ones in Quezon.  These pastries are s…

Homemade ONE EGG Gluten Free Mayonnaise

Mayonnaise is a common condiment made by emulsifying an egg (typically egg yolks) with oil and vinegar or lemon juice.  Emulsifying basically means mixing 2 liquids with varying qualities together to make 1 mixture (like when mixing medicine or mixing oil and water).

I never really liked commercial mayo.  Ever since I was a kid, I hated the way mayo smelled.  It leaves a weird smell on your fingers after eating a sandwich and its particularly greasy and slimy.  Just recently I was kinda forced (well I was being practical and felt had to use my last 2 packets of light mayo) to use store bought mayo and regretted it.  It tasted like plastic and it left an after taste and after smell that I really didn't like.

So, I consulted my trusty GF cookbook - the Gluten-free kitchen and used her One Egg Mayo recipe as a reference.

I only tweaked it a little bit.  Feel free to adjust the recipe to your taste.

Ingredients:

1 whole egg (yes 1 egg, not just the yolk - I never know what to do with…