Skip to main content

Holiday Feast Part 2 - Chicken Ala King

Ok, I know I've been delinquent - I was supposed to post recipes and photos each week but I've been crazy busy I haven't been able to do any writing.  So despite the slight (ahem) delay, I'm posting my other creations.

For now, I'll be talking about my Chicken Ala King.


Okay, I'm not an expert cook but I like experimenting - and being the true Filipino that I am, I love to take an original and turn it into my own creation.  For this recipe, I used a recipe I found on a milk can label/flap and tweaked it a bit to come up with what you see above.

Here's the original recipe courtesy of Alaska Milk (http://milkkitchen.sme.net.ph/?p=70)

Servings: 10-12
Ingredients
24 slices loaf bread
½ cup melted butter
2 tbsp butter or oil
½ cup onions
2 tbsp minced garlic
500 gms diced chicken
¼ cup flour
½ cube chicken cube
1/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
1/3 cup diced green bell pepper
¼ cup green peas
1 cup Alaska Evaporated Filled Milk
½ cup chicken stock
¼ cup grated quickmelt cheese
Procedure:
Roll out bread slices using a rolling pin or a bottle. Brush with melted butter and fit into muffin tin or puto molds. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in a 350F oven until slightly toasted. Set aside.
To make the filling, sauté onions and garlic in butter. Toss in chicken and stir fry until almost done. Toss in flour and cook for a few minutes. Add in chicken cube and vegetables and cook for a few minutes. Pour in milk and stock and bring to a boil. Lessen heat and add in cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve inside baked bread cups.

My changes are:

Use ground chicken
Take out the flour
Add canned mushrooms
Increase Veg
Chicken Stock optional if you use 1 whole chicken cube
and I use an entire block of grated quickmelt cheese

I know, I know it doesn't sound healthy but I don't make this often.  Since my version has a ton of cheese, you have to be careful not to leave it unattended.  Make sure you mix it by scraping the bottom of the pot otherwise you risk burning it.

Also another trick is to use a "Pinoy Tasty" type of bread so they're easier to roll out.  Don't use Gardenia cause I find those can easily break compared to the Pinoy Tasty ones.



I also do a mix of vegtable oil and butter for the butter brush (less calories - just to make up for an entire block of cheese in the recipe).



If you are serving these a few hours after making them, just make sure to keep the filling and the bread cups separate until before you serve them.  If you run out of bread cups (it can take awhile for these to toast) you can just use toasted bread.  This is also very convenient if you're too lazy to roll the bread into cups.  As a last resort (and this is what my brother loves to do) is to just put the filling on top of rice.  That works too :) 



So there it is - obviously I didn't change much but this is the recipe that my family prefers so it's what I make for special occassions (read: once a year).  I suppose I can make a healthier version so my family can eat this more often but that still needs a bit of experimenting so that's for a future post. :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Feast Part 1 - Balut

For the next coming days, I will be posting photos and recipes of dishes I made during the holidays.  In the Philippines Christmas Eve dinner (Noche Buena) and New Year's Eve dinner (Media Noche) are big celebrations.  Families wait for the strike of midnight to celebrate Christmas/NY and eat until the wee hours of the morning.  Since I visit my dad for the holidays, I only make a few "key" dishes, mostly desserts.  Most of them I picked up from here and there and I customized and there are a couple that I made following the exact recipe. Let me start off with something that I didn't make but I purchased (just so I can move on to the ones I've made after).  These are Balut.  Don't worry, I won't show gory photos of the actual chic - just the egg :) Balut is basically duck embryo (and yes, it's the same one they eat on Fear Factor). I've only started eating balut in July of 2011 when my friends and I were in Boracay.  They said that the Balut

Holiday Feast Part 3 - Desserts - Wheat Chocolate "Chip" Cookies

I came across Fuji Mama's Blog Site over the holidays whilst looking for a new Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe.  I was so intruiged cause she made a side by side comparison of the differenct cookie recipes she experimented with. Apparently less butter makes for softer 'chewier' cookies! Who knew, right? So inspired by her experiment, I made some tweaks on the final recipe Fuji Mama ended up with by changing and addingsome of the chocolate and changing the flour.  Since I had some wheat flour, I decided to use that for the cookies (I was kinda worried that they were going to get rock hard but I crossed my fingers and it worked)! Click on the link to Fuji Mama's blog at the top of this post for the full review on the Nestle Toll House Cookie Recipe.    The original recipe is found below with my tweaks in pink font. @nestlefoodie’s Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe from Chris Garboski , adapted from the Original Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cook

Homemade ONE EGG Gluten Free Mayonnaise

Mayonnaise is a common condiment made by emulsifying an egg (typically egg yolks) with oil and vinegar or lemon juice.  Emulsifying basically means mixing 2 liquids with varying qualities together to make 1 mixture (like when mixing medicine or mixing oil and water). I never really liked commercial mayo.  Ever since I was a kid, I hated the way mayo smelled.  It leaves a weird smell on your fingers after eating a sandwich and its particularly greasy and slimy.  Just recently I was kinda forced (well I was being practical and felt had to use my last 2 packets of light mayo) to use store bought mayo and regretted it.  It tasted like plastic and it left an after taste and after smell that I really didn't like. So, I consulted my trusty GF cookbook -  the Gluten-free kitchen  and used her One Egg Mayo recipe as a reference. I only tweaked it a little bit.  Feel free to adjust the recipe to your taste. Ingredients: 1 whole egg (yes 1 egg, not just the yolk - I never know what